The Southern Heritage Trust was set up in December 2002 and incorporated as a Charitable Trust in May 2003. We have an attractive base in the Sexton’s Cottage at Dunedin’s Northern Cemetery. This is by arrangement with the Dunedin City Council, and in return we maintain an information centre and website on burials in the cemetery. You are most welcome to call in to the Sexton’s Cottage whenever you can find us open: you can view there a display of our heritage products and make purchases if you wish.
The Southern Heritage Trust is devoted to the appreciation and protection of Otago’s social, cultural, architectural and industrial heritage. In particular
- we research and publish heritage materials
- we set up and maintain heritage websites
- we collaborate with other agencies, groups and individuals in heritage activities
- we take upon ourselves an advocacy role in heritage matters.
- we run a programme of heritage events, some public, others for members and invited guests