Waikouaiti Coast Heritage Centre tours
Time & Location
About the Event
$5.00 per person
No fee to enter the new building, which contains the gallery, giftshop and research area.
Enjoy a tour of our newly revamped 1869 Bank of New Zealand building and visit our brand new gallery and research centre.
Our two-storey former Bank of New Zealand building was designed by renowned architect Robert A Lawson in 1867 and built from limestone and cavity brick. In 1927 the front first storey veranda was added and changes were made to the rear living quarters. The bank closed for business in 1937. The building has now been classified by the Historic Places Trust as a Grade 1 listed building.
The new purpose-built heritage centre behind the Bank has recently been completed, increasing exhibition space and enabling us to bring the history of the Waikouaiti & Coast area to life, while creating a sense of identity and providing a great destination for the local community.
More information at www.wchc.org.nz
Call (03) 465 7869 to book